Tuesday, April 8, 2008


Seeking for a Friend

Have you ever been so lonely
So lonely—until it hurt
Hurts like someone took my heart out
Crumpled it up
Then put it back in place

People I know by the dozens
But today I have no friend to call
Silence so still it’s frightening
Even the air is cold
No ones talking or returning my kindness
I’d call someone—if I knew how they would respond

Acquaintances I have
Insincere hellos and how are yous
My heart is sick of empty expressions
Painted on smiles like a mask
Give me a friend
No one pretentious
One to listen and to share life’s turns with I’d listen carefully to their stories

The door bell doesn’t ring
No one knows I live here
The phone rings—wrong number
Again—I answer just to hear the voice
Tears—I have shed all afternoon
No shoulder to cry on
My pillow will have to do
No comfort they can offer—but faithful still

In a world of millions of people

Loneliness can still find a place
A place to roam and haunt
Occupy and feel at home
Loneliness you’re not welcome
But right now I have nothing to put in your place
How long do you plan on staying?
I guess until something puts you out

I think I have something to offer

A friend I could be
Maybe no one is looking
I can’t imagine why
The days of friendship have passed by

New trends take their place
Too busy to offer a sweet hello
Too busy to pass the time by

Old fashioned it does seem
Too much trouble to stop and listen
To see if someone is in need
Pause—hush you can hear it in their voice
Loneliness has a way of seeping out
Out in conversations
Gestures that invite--come in—you’re welcome
Help me put loneliness out

Jonathan loved David
Even more than his own soul
From his enemy he did cover—covered him with his love
Oh, how my heart is full of envy.
That type of friend I have never found
Yet I still look--thinking he may appear
That friend-- to cover me with his love

No comments:

Post a Comment